Sunday, May 14, 2006

Zelda Gilroy and a not so big surprise

I thought I was in love with Zelda Gilroy (at left) from the Dobie Gillis Show, until I reached an age where girls with make up on began to appeal to me more. Then I fell in love with Sandra Dee, then Diana Rigg from The Avengers, and then I graduated to my love for Kristy McNichol. I even found my own Zelda (I must have been subliminally attracted to girls that looked like Zelda from watching too much Dobie Gillis), a girl from Maryville, SC who worked at WGTN-AM when I met her, that faintly resembled Zelda, but was so much more attractive, (and she even wore make up) Kathy Oliff was her name, she was sweet, I thought I was in love with her too, pictured below at right on my birthday in 1989. Back to Zelda. I remember at a very young age getting this strange feeling that Zelda not only bugged the crap out of Dobie, but it bugged the crap out of me that she seemed to look more and more like a boy than a girl. It was later revealed that the four lone episodes of her own TV show that were shot (and never aired) were tossed by the network because she was too "Butch". If only she had worn make up and cut those bangs, gawd I have never liked bangs since then! My interests turned towards Tuesday Weld in the show, but she was so up-ity and thought she was so high-class, then Warren Beatty started hitting on her in the show so I eventually declared Maynard G. Krebs (the late Bob Denver) as my hero of the Dobie Gillis show. I even grew a Maynard beard in College, I thought I was soooo cool.
Now, the surprise about Zelda, played by Sheila Kuehl, now a senator in California (pictured below, at right), but it's not really such a big surprise, I guess it was obvious all along, she said this weekend that she not only wants to be remembered for playing "Zelda" on the show, but also that she is gay.
She is 65 years old now and wants some gay knowledge put into our school systems, not sexually, but awareness that many historical figures are gay. I wonder if she'll get her way, I wonder if she will become a full-fledged activist for it.
Below is a picture of Kuehl during a radio interview, imagine my surprise when I saw her that day and it was the first time for me to see her since the black and white photo above, I was in shock for a bit I must say. Time goes by so fast. Rest In Peace Maynard G. Krebs, you are still my hero.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Victor Koman, PhD said...

Wow, we both followed a similar love path! I had a crush on Zelda, found Maynard more intriguing than Dobie. Then — aside from an odd attraction to Dr. Venus (seductively voiced by Sylvia Anderson) on FIREBALL XL-5 — I certainly grew up to love Diana Rigg, the ladies of Star Trek, and Julie Newmar’s Catwoman. Great post!

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home