Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Happy Birthday Lesley Gore!

It's her party, and, yes, she can cry if she wants to, SHE'S SIXTY YEARS OLD!
How time flies, seems like just a few years ago I was playing her Greatest Hits album (Produced by Quincy Jones) every afternoon after school. I never really took her for a serious/talented artist (The only exposure I had to visualize was seeing her lip-synching on American Bandstand) until I saw her perform on The T.A.M.I. Show (Teen Age Music International). Her performance in that concert-movie of "Hey Now" and "You Don't Own Me" adjusted my attitude towards a groovy-hair doo chick that others had told me was just a "rich chick spending her father's money". That is what I was told by the first person to sell me a Lesley Gore record, I couldn't find any Lesley Gore singles in the record stores so this guy I worked with sold me his 45 of "It's My Party." I can't remember his name, but he sold me a whole slew of 45's, in their original picture sleeves, that he'd bought right before going into the Army in 1963 and they were all just like brand new. I, of course, wore them out seeing as how I thought this was a whole "new" world of music (it was to me). I'll never forget the first time I heard "California Nights" by Lesley Gore on the radio, it was on WLAC, The Rhythm of Nashville, late at night, the DJ said "...the last charted hit by Lesley Gore...", all I could think was "I wonder if she still had that same hair doo by the time her last hit was out..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home