Sunday, June 25, 2006

Another "Gone But Not Forgotten"

Geeze, they seem to be dropping like flies lately. Aaron Spelling, Creator of The Love Boat, Charlie's Angels, Dynasty, Beverly Hills 90210, Fantasy Island, TJ Hooker, Hart To Hart, and the rarely mentioned favorite of mine Burke's Law (which starred Gene Barry, I was a BIG fan of Barry's pre-Burke role in Bat Masterson, sort of a western version of The Avenger's John Steed, complete with hat and cane), died this past Friday at the age of 83, he had a stroke just last week.
Not only was Burke's Law one of my two all-time Spelling favorites, The Mod Squad was the other one, Spelling was a genious!
As I used to sit in front of our small black and white TV in the living room in Hollowayville, Illinois, and gaze into that tube at Mod Squad, Star Trek, and The Monkees EVERY week, a few years later there was an Aaron Spelling cration that became a big hit that I never cared for, it was Family, although I was in love with Kristy McNichol from the show and I would watch for her scenes only, usually turning the channel as soon as my adolescent mind decided the first few scenes with McNichol were enough to satisfy me until the next issue of Bananas Magazine or Us had her picture in it, I'm telling you, I was flipped over Kristy McNichol!When Kristy and her brother Jimmy came out with their own variety TV show, I thought, wow, a weekly show with the chic I am flipped over that I can watch all the way through! But, alas, it was not to be. The Kristy & Jimmy McNichol Show was a good bit hoaky and goofy, or maybe I was just reaching an age where I thought I was "too cool" for a TV show with a brother and sister doing modernized Vaudeville skits and singing songs on network television. Yes, they sang songs, and I remember their records being in the record bin at Nichols Discount City (Now a Wal-Mart Super Center) in Gastonia, NC, but I never bought their records, nor did I ever hear them on the radio. Maybe program directors in radio at the time thought it was uncool too. No, make that a confirmation, it was uncool to play their songs on the air. Sorry Kristy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home