Sunday, May 28, 2006

Today's Date in 1986

It was on today's date back in 1986 that the results of television viewers' votes for the greatest hits of the Rock era were revealed on Dick Clark's "America Picks the #1 Songs". The month-long survey for this particular list showed that Americans picked Bill Haley (pictured) and His Comet's "Rock Around the Clock", Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (I never considered that to be a ROCK song) and Lionel Richie's "All Night Long" (I never considered that to be a bona-fied Rock song either, but it was an extremely big hit at the time of the survey). The participants must have been varied in age and interests, I do not know of too many people who would ever think to categorize those three songs together on ANY list. In my humble opinion, Rock Around The Clock definitely belongs there, but Bridge Over Troubled Water for a "Greatest ROCK Hit"? Must be why there has never been a Rock and Roll chart in America, the Pop charts rule. At least the Lionel Richie song had a good beat and you could dance to it. LOL.
And, this show gave us a good video of Bill Haley and The Comets on national TV again! Hoo Rah! That's Bill Haley jamin' with Frank Beecher on stage, Frank (Franny) still tours with The Comets.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that very day! I was 8 years old and probably the biggest and most goofy Lionel fan in Louisiana. I used to pile up with my cousins around the TV and watch even though my friends thought it was boring! Thanks for the walk down memory lane :)

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home